Tools and Materials Needed:
- Carrier oil such as: olive oil, mct oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, or almond oil
- Fresh herb, finely chopped or dried herb, finely chopped
- Cheese cloth or muslin
- Two clean, glass jars with a tight fitting lids, such as a mason jars
- Double boiler (optional)
- Place finely chopped herb into glass container.
- Pour enough oil in the jar to cover the herb.
- Place in the sun or in a warm location.
- Shake the jar daily.
- After 2 to 3 weeks, strain the oil through the cheese cloth or muslin. Be sure to wring as much oil as possible out of the cloth or muslin.
- Pour strained oil into clean, glass jar. Store in a cool, dark location.
- For a stronger oil, add more plant material to strained oil and repeat steps 3-6.
Alternate Method Using a Double Boiler
- Place finely chopped herbs and oil in a double boiler.
- Bring to a slow simmer and slowly heat for 30-60 minutes, checking frequently to be sure oil is not overheating.
- Strain through the cheese cloth or muslin. Be sure to wring as much oil as possible out of the cloth or muslin.
- Pour strained oil into a clean, glass jar. Store in a cool, dark location.
Herb infused oils can keep for 6 months to 3 years, depending on the herb and oil used.